Edit polygon structure with the Quickslice tool.
- [Narrator] To prepare for a Boolean operation,…such as a subtraction,…we need to make sure that the objects we're working with,…or the operands, are legal for Booleans.…And what does that mean exactly?…Well, a legal object is one which has a so-called…manifold topology that can be laid out flat.…If all the edges were cut apart, it could be laid out flat.…There would be ability to fold it back up the way it was.…
That's what's meant by manifold.…Another requirement for Booleans is that…we have no concave polygons,…or polygons with holes in them.…This object here currently had really no detail.…It would not work if we tried to do…a Boolean subtraction with two of these boxes.…We would get unpredictable results.…To prevent that from happening,…we can cut a new edge here, or an edge loop,…right down the middle.…
That will split the object into…two large polygons in the front and two in back.…That would help the Boolean operation…so that it would not have an concave or weird polygons.…We're going to go ahead and do that now.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.