Learn how to simulate detail by varying material properties.
- [Narrator] No surface in the real world…is perfectly uniform.…To reproduce real world materials,…we need to vary the shading properties…such as base color, across the surface.…Images and patterns applied to material parameters…are commonly known as textures, maps or texture maps.…The original term, texture map referred…to the diffuse or base color.…Nowadays the term is used more generally…to indicate any image or pattern applied across a surface.…
Common maps include base color, roughness,…reflectivity and transparency.…Textures come in two essential forms.…File maps and procedural maps.…A file map is an image stored on disk…loaded into memory at render time…and applied to the surface.…Most file maps are pixel-based bitmap images…such as .PNG and .EXR files.…Some programs support file maps in vector art formats…such as .SVG and Adobe Illustrator .AI.…
A procedural map is internally generated…by the 3D rendering application.…It's a pattern or image generated by an algorithm.…Procedural maps can be regular and geometric…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Choosing a visualization app
- Managing assets
- Shading with materials and textures
- Daylighting, practical lighting, and studio lighting
- Lightbox and macro photography
- Vehicles and large-scale objects
- Architecture and interior design
- Technical illustrations
- Rendering passes and light groups
- Rendering for print, prepress, and broadcast
- Animating turntables and orbits
- Rigging and animating a walkthrough
Skill Level Beginner
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. Preparation and Layout
2. Lighting and Shading
4. Rendering and Image Manipulation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.