Join Zaheer Mukhtar for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding cracks to the wooden planks, part of 3ds Max: Stylized Environment for Animation.
- [Instructor] Now I'm going to add detail to this plank…that we created, so I will select it and hit Alt Q…to swallow this out and in Top viewport,…let me just have a look at the amount of segments it has.…And it seems fine to me, I will press W and hold Shift…and drag it so I can make a copy of it…and save a copy for any backup.…And choose this one, and hold Alt and Q…to swallow this out again.…Press P to go to Perspective viewport,…and have a look at my plank.…
I will right-click and convert it to Editable Poly.…Now, one thing I notice here is it has slightly…more roundness than it should have.…So I will go to Edge mode and double-click this edge,…and if I bring it close, here at the edges,…you should see that the roundness has been reduced.…Now, notice, I mentioned this, that the closer…these two edges would be, the less roundness there would be.…And now I will double-click this edge, go to Top viewport,…and try to move it to a side,…so I should have kind of less roundness.…
And similarly here, double-click and take it to the sides.…
First, Zaheer explores artistic ways to block out the basic forms of your structure, such as using exaggerated proportions and irregular, tilted shapes. Next, he shows how to add details to the forms. Then he demonstrates how to add the more stylized elements including textures, imported materials, color refinements, and lighting. He wraps up the course by wrapping up the workflow, making final render passes and preparing the scene for export. Along the way, he covers art creation, modeling, compositing, and more.
- Exploring the elements of stylization
- Analyzing a reference image
- Blocking out basic shapes
- Reshaping forms
- Creating details
- Creating stylized elements
- Creating materials in 3ds Max
- Color correcting materials
- Preparing materials for export
- Importing elements into a scene
- Adding lights to a scene
- Setting up V-Ray Renderer
- Fixing issues with renders and lights
- Compositing render passes in Photoshop
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 48m Appropriate for all
1. Blocking Out Basic Shapes
2. Adding Details to Basic Shapes
3. Creating Stylized Details
4. Creating Textures, Exporting, and Rendering
Next steps1m 54s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.