Learn how to simulate a layer of clear varnish.
- [Instructor] To conclude our chapter…on hard-surface materials with the Physical Material,…let's look at adding a clear coat,…so we can have the effect of, for example, varnished wood.…We've got our bumpy metal here.…Let's change that up.…Set the Bump Map value down to zero,…and make it a white Reflection Color.…Set the Metalness to a value of zero.…
Set the Reflection Roughness to .6…and the Index of Refraction here to 1.5.…Now we've got our base diffuse material,…and it's got some subtle highlights here…because we have a Roughness of 0.6.…Up at the top of the Material Editor,…we'll see Coating Parameters roll out.…Open that up,…and it's defaulted to a white clear coat color.…
Let's increase the clear coat amount to its maximum of one,…and immediately we see the effect here…of an extra layer of specular highlights.…We can change that color, click in the swatch,…just give it a little bit of a pink color,…and immediately we see how that's going to affect…the underlying color, which is the base here.…Click OK to close that Color Selector, and then we can play…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Appropriate for all
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.