Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding ambient-occlusion nodes, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…Ambient occlusion is a rendering effect that's designed to enhance realism,…by creating a darker area in surfaces that are close together.…And the idea here is that ambient light, or indirect illumination,…doesn't reach into the cracks and crevices between things very well.…And so you get what are known as…contact shadows, where it's darker in those crackers.…Or where two surfaces are really close together.…That's what ambient occlusion is all about.…
And we're going to do that in this exercise, but…we're going to do it in a kind of special customized way.…Because there are many ways of adding ambient occlusion.…And one is directly in the arch and design material.…Let's take a quick look at that.…Open the Material Editor.…And we want to go to our, watch body material.…Bring that over, kind of separate from everything.…And to double-click on it.…Get it's parameters up.…And if you open up Special Effects, you'll see Ambient Occlusion.…If we enable this, then the final gather…indirect illumination will be blocked, based upon this distances.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.