Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding ambient occlusion effects, part of Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Asset.
- Having got to this point in the chapter,…we should by now be pretty familiar…with the use of Blend nodes…in our Substance Designer graph,…which is good,…because that is what we are ultimately going to be using…to help create our Ambient Occlusion effect.…If we zoom into the Ambient Occlusion frame, however,…you can see that we have actually used…only two nodes here.…One is a copy of the Ambient Occlusion Map…that we baked earlier,…dragged, of course, from the Resources Folder.…And the other is yet another Gradient Map node…that we are using in order to convert…a Greyscale Input…to an RGB Color Output.…
Now, whether or not we need to create…baked Ambient Occlusion…from inside Substance Designer…is one of those choices…that will need to be made based on both the aesthetic…and game engine performance requirements…of the game that you are creating.…Because we could, of course,…have our game engine generate…an Ambient Occlusion effect…for all or some of the assets in a level.…That, of course, requires processing cycles, though.…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Learning CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.