Model a beveled 3D object from a spline.
- [Instructor] The bevel modifier is very useful…in situations where you want to extrude a closed spline,…and also produce a chamfered or fileted edge.…So the corners will actually catch the light.…And this is a perfect example of when…we would want to use the bevel modifier.…This logo imported from Illustrator.…Be aware that the bevel modifier is a little bit…sensitive to the topology of your spline.…
And you may need to make changes to the spline…in order to avoid issues with the bevel modifier.…For example, if you have vertices too close to one another,…you may have topology issues.…So you may want to investigate at the sub object level.…I'll go in the front view and select my spline object,…maximize that with alt w, go into vertex sub object mode,…and get in closer, and we can see…in certain areas in fact, we do have a situation where we…have two vertices very close to one another.…
And I do recommend that you actually weld these.…And we can do that from the editable spline modify panel.…Scrolling down, you'll see weld.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.