Adding separate light to simulate the sun can give you much better control over shadows. In this video, learn how to add a V-Ray sun light to the scene.
- [Instructor] Now that we have the environmental light … in the scene we can actually add a sun. … Now you can use the environmental light as your sun, … but I'm going to add an additional light for the sun … just to be able to control it a little bit more accurately. … So we're going to do this by creating sunlight … so if I got over to lights and … drop down to VRay, you'll see we have a VRay sun … and this is a light that basically simulates the sun. … if you want, but we're doing our own photo environment … so we're not going to use that feature of it. … into a top view port and then I'm going to place this … somewhere close to where the actual sun would be … of the camera. … So let's go ahead and left click and drag towards the house. … So what we're dragging here is the target of that light. … When I let go, it's going to ask me if I want … to add an environment now. … No, we already have one, so let's go ahead and not do that … and then I'm going to kind of scroll out my perspective view …
- Setting up V-Ray
- Setting up environmental lighting
- Adding sunlight to a scene
- Rendering a hero pass
- Creating reflection and selection passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Lighting for night
- Setting up a matte pass
- Adjusting light, shadow, and reflections
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max and V-Ray: Residential Exterior Materialswith George Maestri2h 27m Intermediate
3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray Workflowswith Brian Bradley1h 35m Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross3h 36m Advanced
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 37m Advanced
1. Set Up the Scene and Environment
2. Lighting for Daytime
3. Daytime Rendering and Compositing
4. Lighting for Night
5. Night Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.