In this video, see various ways you can edit your puppet as you work.
- It's easy to make changes to a puppet in the rig window. But if you don't make some changes in your master file, you'll have to fix some issues over and over as you add new elements and edit your master puppet file in neither Photoshop or Illustrator. (upbeat music) So, let's say that you've got an arm that you want to manipulate with a dragger or a dangle. Well, let's take a look at that. So, I want to take the characters left arm here, and I want to add a dragger to it so I can move it around.
So, if I look over here, and I see 'left arm'. I want to put a dragger, so I'll select my dragger tool. But look, it won't let me add a dragger in there. Why? Because my left arm is only a layer; it's not a group. Now, I can fix this right here very simply in 'Character Animator'. I can just go to 'Puppet', 'Group Layers', watch what happens. Turn that left arm into a group. So I keep the group selected. Click my dragger. Go to record.
And now the arm will move around. Okay, that was great. Nice and simple to be able to fix. The problem, however, is that since I made this into a group here, in 'Character Animator', any changes that I want to add or make to my original puppet in Photoshop, we'll take this into account. Let me show you. So here's the puppet, and here's the left arm in Photoshop. It's not either grouped or have the plus sign which automatically turns it into a group. So let's go ahead and fix that here, let's add the plus sign at the front of it.
That's what makes it independent so I should be able to move it. Hit 'CTRL' 'S' to save, you have to save in your master folder. Back in the 'Character Animator', and look what happened. It now added another folder. So now I've got two folders of left arm. This one that we adjusted here, and the one that made the automatic change because of adjusting our master file. So now, all of a sudden, we're getting a lot of complication and extra things that we don't need into our program.
Fact, watch what happens. When I drag the arm, notice we have two sets of left arms because we didn't make the change only in our master file. You'll never have to fix that issue again if you make the fix in your master puppet file. And by doing that, you're going to save yourself a tremendous amount of time down the road. (upbeat music)
- Creating a list of production needs
- How the varied styles of animation impact production
- Creating usable digital puppets
- Working with drawn characters, objects, and CG characters
- Adding value to the look of your production
- Exploring various audio recording options
- Organizing files for production, backup, and transport
- Using animation cycles
- Building and editing a scene
- Troubleshooting issues
- Tricks for enhancing your production
- Post-production and delivery
Skill Level Beginner
2. Puppet Production Issues
3. Add Production Value
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.