In this video, learn the trick to having a prop, like a cup of coffee, stay vertical in your character's hand during dragging and recording.
- So, the bottle my character is holding here keeps bending over, and this might not work well for you if your character is trying to hold a cup of coffee. So, how do you keep the prop upright? (exciting music) You've got a character that's holding a prop. Really, the prop is just, it's a hand layer that's attached to an arm. Well, luckily it's just a couple of steps to make sure that that stays upright. Let's go into rig. Let's take a look at the layer first.
It's here hidden behind the other one. It's called Bottle held. Turn that off so you could see it disappear. It's attached to an arm that's draggable, and the hand is attached to the arm, but as you could see, it keeps bending over. So, the first thing that we want to do, is we want to make this layer independent. So I'm going to go to Puppet, Group Layers, that's independent. Let's go back to Record and see what changed.
So right now nothing changed, but it allows us to do what we need to do next. Let's go back to Rig, and under Layer, I'm going to change my Attach style to Hinge. You also want to make sure that Independent, right here, is checked. Let's go back to Record. So now as I move it around, look at that. Because it's independent and it hinges on its own, it's not going to rotate over. So this is the fastest and easiest way to keep that prop directly upright.
Making your prop layer Independent and setting the layer attach style to Hinge, keeps the layer upright, and my character no longer accidentally burns his face off. (laughs) (exciting music)
- Creating a list of production needs
- How the varied styles of animation impact production
- Creating usable digital puppets
- Working with drawn characters, objects, and CG characters
- Adding value to the look of your production
- Exploring various audio recording options
- Organizing files for production, backup, and transport
- Using animation cycles
- Building and editing a scene
- Troubleshooting issues
- Tricks for enhancing your production
- Post-production and delivery
Skill Level Beginner
2. Puppet Production Issues
3. Add Production Value
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.