Fabric is not always smooth; the fibers in the fabric often have subtle variations. Learn how to capture these variations in Substance Designer using a combination of normal and height mapping.
- [Instructor] With our color in place we can now start … to work with the relief of the material … and that's things like bump, normal, mapping, … roughness, and so on. … Now we're going to start this … with this basic cloth pattern that we created. … The first thing we're going to do is just do the normal map, … and that's pretty straightforward. … Now, from this, I'm actually going to create a level … and then do my normal. … So I'm going to right click, do add node, levels, … take my make it tile patch, drop that into normal, … drop it into the levels. … And if I want, I can change the levels however I want. … Now if I want to make it a little bit more contrasty … that will heighten the normal map. … So then from there, I can right click, add node, normal, … and then drop that into my normal map. … Now as soon as we do that you'll see that we've got … what looks like a much bumpier surface. … Now this is still very reflective … and we'll correct that in a bit, … but this actually can kind of show the bumpiness …
- Furnishing the interior with custom and third-party models
- Creating basic V-Ray materials
- Using physical materials
- Creating materials in Substance
- Setting up Substance materials in 3ds Max
- Tiling patterns
- Adding color and relief
- Importing materials into 3ds Max
- Creating bitmaps in Substance
- Creating V-Ray materials from bitmaps
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max and V-Ray: Residential Exterior Materialswith George Maestri2h 27m Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
1. Furnish the Interior
2. Basic Materials
3. Create Materials in Substance
4. Substance Workflow
5. Use Substance to Create Bitmaps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.