Ready to watch this entire course?
Become a member and get unlimited access to the entire skills library of over 4,900 courses, including more Design and personalized recommendations.Start Your Free Trial Now
- View Offline
These lessons are applicable to a number of fields, including graphic design, photography, and illustration, and both traditional and digital media. Dive in and get a fresh look at color that is sure to revitalize your creativity and your work.
- Understanding why color is essential for you as an artist, designer, or human being
- Storytelling with color
- Understanding brand identity and color language
- Reviewing the history of color usage, from print to digital
- Working with the color wheel
- Understanding value, saturation, and temperature
- Seeing through color: opaque, translucent, and transparent
- Creating contrast
- Exploring depth of field
- Seeing complementary relationships in light
- Achieving harmony and discord in a palette
- Understanding color blindness
Skill Level Beginner
When you look at the world, my hope is that you'll see color and be able to translate that vision to everything you create. I hope your color vocabulary and instincts are now more finely tuned. And that you're seeing color with new eyes. Utilize this fundamental element of art in ways that engage and inspire both you and your audience. It's been an amazing journey for me, and I hope for you, too. I've recommended some excellent resources and examples in the exercise files. But we'd like to recommend one more exercise here.
The best way to understand color, is to look more closely at the world around you. Wait for the golden hour, at the end of the day, just before the sunset, and see if you can see the complementary and contrasting colors. Purples or blue-greens in the shadows, and orange or pink in the light. Sit back, and enjoy the emotive power of light and the pleasure of experiencing what you now know. Thank you for letting me be your guide to the foundations of color.