Join Jess Stratton for an in-depth discussion in this video Installing updates on a Mac, part of Learning Computer Security and Internet Safety.
- There's a few ways to make sure your Mac is up to date with important security patches and updates. If the App Store is kept in the Dock, look for a notification in the top right-hand side of the App icon. This is going to tell you that there's important updates. You can also click on the Apple icon on the top left-hand side and select Software Update, this will open up the App Store and take you directly to the Updates tab. If there's a major operating system upgrade you'll see it and it's a separate install. For example, here's OS X Yosemite and I can click on the FREE UPGRADE if I wanted to, I don't have to do this for any existing Software Updates for my current operating system.
For example, directly below this I can see that there's a Software Update. It's telling me that there's Updates available, and if I click More I can see exactly what's going to be updated. I can either UPDATE each item individually, or I can click the UPDATE button, click Agree, and the update will begin. I can minimize this while the update's running. It's very important to keep up to date with security patches, no matter what operating system you're on. If you don't have the App icon available on the Dock to tell you when there's an update, periodically go in and see if there's any important software updates that you need for your Mac.
- Installing updates
- Using antivirus software and protecting against viruses
- Enabling Windows Firewall
- Using password-management software
- Encrypting files that contain sensitive data
- Securing your router and protecting the SSID
- Understanding the signs of a secure website
- Checking settings for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari
- Unsubscribing from email subscriptions
- Reviewing site privacy settings
- Browsing on a public computer
- Understanding cookies
- Protecting other people's names and locations
- Fact-checking email warnings