Join Mike Meyers for an in-depth discussion in this video The boot process, part of CompTIA A+ Exam Prep (220-902) Part 3: Windows Basics.
- If you're gonna be a technician…and if you wanna pass the A Plus,…you need some basic understanding…of how Windows gets itself booted up in the morning.…Now, to get us started,…I want to show you a very cool little file right here.…Now, you can see I'm in my Windows System32 folder.…Do you see that guy right there?…That's winload.exe.…Winload.exe has one job, to get Windows started.…If you wanna boot Windows up,…you've gotta come up with some way…to start running that particular program.…
When we talk about booting,…what we're talking about and actually comes from…to pull yourself up by your own boot straps.…So booting is a process of taking a system…that is not running, turning it on…and making your operating system, in this case Windows,…appear on the screen so you can do whatever you need to do.…This whole episode's job is to simply make sure…you understand how Windows gets to winload.exe…so that winload.exe can begin…getting Windows up and running.…
To really get your hands wrapped around all this,…we have to remember that when your computer first fires up,…
Part 3 covers the Windows operating system: all the basics you need to know to troubleshoot the inside of a PC. Author and CompTIA expert Mike Meyers takes a look under the hood at the processes, services, and tasks and provides an overview of user management, which is one of the foundations of Windows security. In Chapter 3, you'll learn some techniques for maintaining and optimizing the performances of Windows, including backup and restore procedures. Every lesson maps to a question in the critical Windows domain—an estimated 30% of the exam.
Details about the certification and the exam blueprints can be found at https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/a.
- What is the Windows registry?
- Understanding the boot process
- Using the Windows 8 Task Manager
- Creating and managing users
- Working in the Microsoft Management Console
- Installing and uninstalling programs
- Backing up and restoring Windows