Join Mike Meyers for an in-depth discussion in this video Meeting the MMC, part of CompTIA A+ (220-902) Cert Prep: 3 Windows Basics.
- As a tech, I live in the Control Panel…and if there's one thing that drives me crazy,…is so many of the important tools that I need…are buried way down there.…I've got to go into Administrative Tools,…in fact, let's do this right now.…So, here I am, I gonna go over to Control Panel,…I'm on Windows 10 here,…but this problem takes place in every version of Windows.…So, what am I looking for?…Disk Management, so is that under Administrative Tools?…Yep, that's just clean up though,…oh, it's Computer Management, that's right,…and then we finally get to Disk Management,…I mean this crazy organization…which has been with Windows for a long long time…is a source of some angst for a lot of us technicians…and we have learned little tricks…that help us get around this problem…using something called the Microsoft…Management Console or MMC.…
Many of the denizens of the Control Panel…are actually little files called MSC files,…so they act like EXEs but they only…run within this MMC.…Let me start by just showing you the raw MMC.…
Part 3 covers the Windows operating system: all the basics you need to know to troubleshoot the inside of a PC. Author and CompTIA expert Mike Meyers takes a look under the hood at the processes, services, and tasks and provides an overview of user management, which is one of the foundations of Windows security. In Chapter 3, you'll learn some techniques for maintaining and optimizing the performances of Windows, including backup and restore procedures. Every lesson maps to a question in the critical Windows domain—an estimated 30% of the exam.
Details about the certification and the exam blueprints can be found at https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/a.
- What is the Windows registry?
- Understanding the boot process
- Using the Windows 8 Task Manager
- Creating and managing users
- Working in the Microsoft Management Console
- Installing and uninstalling programs
- Backing up and restoring Windows