Join Mike Meyers for an in-depth discussion in this video Installing and uninstalling programs, part of CompTIA A+ (220-902) Cert Prep: 3 Windows Basics.
- Installing and uninstalling applications…in the Windows world is actually…a pretty straight-forward function,…but it is on the A+, so I want to make sure…we cover it right now.…The main tool that we're going to be using…to install and uninstall applications is,…well, in most cases, it's the applications themselves.…We usually have some type of delivery media…or we download an executable,…and we run an installation program.…Now that installation program is going to do a lot of stuff.…It needs to create a folder in either…Program Files or Program Files x86.…
It's going to have its own dynamic link libraries.…It's going to have all of its…extra little files that it needs.…It might bring fonts.…Who knows.…So that if we install an application,…we've got a lot of little pieces…that need to go in the right places.…Equally, if we want to get rid of it,…if we want to uninstall that application,…there has to be a toolset that allows the operating system,…in this case, Windows, to get rid of all that stuff,…and even throw in crazy options like,…
Part 3 covers the Windows operating system: all the basics you need to know to troubleshoot the inside of a PC. Author and CompTIA expert Mike Meyers takes a look under the hood at the processes, services, and tasks and provides an overview of user management, which is one of the foundations of Windows security. In Chapter 3, you'll learn some techniques for maintaining and optimizing the performances of Windows, including backup and restore procedures. Every lesson maps to a question in the critical Windows domain—an estimated 30% of the exam.
Details about the certification and the exam blueprints can be found at https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/a.
- What is the Windows registry?
- Understanding the boot process
- Using the Windows 8 Task Manager
- Creating and managing users
- Working in the Microsoft Management Console
- Installing and uninstalling programs
- Backing up and restoring Windows