By James Fritz | Tuesday, February 26, 2013
It seems like just yesterday when new features were added to Muse, but surprisingly it has been a few months. Unlike last quarter’s update, which featured major new features, this quarter is more about refining existing features to help you better work with Muse. In my opinion, the two most important changes to Muse this time around are the addition of a spell-checker and the ability to base master pages off of each other.
There are also other minor enhancements and additions you can read about below.
Master page improvements
• Master page elements can now layer in front of content on those pages to which the master has been applied. To reorder master page content, select elements on the master page, right-click and select Move to Master Foreground or Move to Master Background from the popup menu. Alternatively select elements on the master page, then select Object > Move to Background or Foreground in the Muse application menu. All elements in the master page set to Move to Master Foreground will appear on top of all elements in the page.
• Master pages can now be applied to other master pages. All the workflows for applying a master page to a website page are now also available to apply a master page to another master page.
• To understand the complete chain of master pages applied to an individual page or a master page, mouse over the page name in the Site Plan layout, and a tooltip will appear showing the chain of applied master pages.
Muse now includes a spell-checker, which can be toggled on or off by selecting Edit > Spelling in the Muse menu.
• To see suggestions for misspelled words (with red squiggly underlines), select the text using the Text tool, then right-click on the selected word(s).
• To add a word to the spelling dictionary, right-click on the word and select Add … to Dictionary in the right-click menu.
• To change the spell-checker language, go to File > Site Properties, click on the Text tab, and select the appropriate language in the Language dropdown menu. To change the language for an individual text frame, right-click on the text frame and select Language from the popup menu.
• Tablet and smartphone preview now has a toggle to preview portrait or landscape orientation.
• When deleting a page item, Muse will now select the parent item, if any.
• The Page Properties dialog now includes an option to always show scrollbars in the browser.
• Pressing Escape exits Preview mode and takes you back to your last Design view page.
• The Align/Distribute panel now includes the ability to distribute objects horizontally or vertically with specific numeric spacing.
• Opening a page in Design view is faster.
• Upload to FTP host now includes a setting to control whether Muse encrypts and stores FTP account credentials.
Publish to Business Catalyst subdirectories
• The Muse publish workflow now allows publishing to a specific host subdirectory on the Business Catalyst (BC) hosting platform. This feature has been available as part of the Upload to FTP Host in the past and is now extended to publishing to the BC platform.
• To publish to a subfolder, select Publish, expand the Options dropdown area, and enter the subfolder name.
•The widget flyout Options panel now opens automatically when a new widget is placed on the Design canvas to make configuring widgets more intuitive.
• Slideshow and Composition widgets now include the option to turn on or off swipe (touch) support and the ability to control transition speed (in addition to the time spent on each slide) in 0.1 second increments.
• The Accordion panel widget now supports Close All in Design view. The selected panel Design view will now be selected/active when previewing, exporting, or publishing the site to BC.
• The selected tab in Design view for the Tabbed Panels widget will now be selected/active when previewing, exporting, or publishing the site to BC.
• When opening older documents, Muse will either expand the first Accordion panel or collapse the Accordion in Design view depending on the currently selected options. In the instance of the Tabbed Panels widget the first tab in the tabbed panel will be active/visible.
• The Close all Initially option in the Accordion panel has been replaced by the new behavior that allows an accordion to be collapsed in Design view.
• The Accordion panel now includes an option to Overlap Items Below.
• In case we either switched an accordion to its first panel or collapsed it initially, a reference to that accordion will be added to the new Warnings panel. The reason is that this change may slightly change the page design. I encourage you to review the design/browser behavior for those pages and when done, delete the warning(s) from the Warnings panel. Muse will remind you if any warnings were not resolved (deleted) prior to each export/publish.
• You can now change the Z-order (using Bring to Front/Bring Forward/Send Backward/Send to Back) of Triggers and Targets in Composition widgets without breaking the connection between Triggers and Targets. Similarly, you can now change the Z-order of Slideshow Thumbnail or Hero images without breaking the connection between them.
• Rotated items are now described in HTML as if they are unrotated, then rotation is applied as a separate CSS 2D rotation property. The result is cleaner images and text, and live selectable text in the browser. Note: Rotated items in Muse 3 and earlier were exported as images. Hence, the more you zoom in when viewing from a browser, the more pixelated the rotated item appears.
Begin learning software, business, and creative skills—anytime, anywhere—with video instruction from recognized industry experts.
Share this article:
Tags: James Fritz, Adobe Muse
You can change your email preferences at any time. We will never sell your email. More info
Thanks for signing up.
We’ll send you a confirmation email shortly.
Sign up and receive emails about lynda.com and our online training library:
Keep up with news, tips, and latest courses with emails from lynda.com.
We've updated our terms and conditions (now called terms of service).Go Review and accept our updated terms of service.