Frequently asked questions
Find answers to the most frequently asked questions about Windows 7 Essential Training.
Here are the FAQs that matched your search "":
Q: Is there a way to share files and printers between computers on network running Windows XP and Windows 7 without using the HomeGroup share method of Windows 7, since XP does not have this feature?
- A: While Windows XP does not support the new HomeGroup found in Windows 7, there is another way to share files and printers between the two operating systems. There are a number of steps to follow, but they are all listed here: www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/
Q: Is it possible for a computer running Windows XP to join a Windows 7 HomeGroup?
- A: Unfortunately, only Windows 7 supports HomeGroup. If the Windows XP computer must connect with the Windows 7 computer, there are have two options:
1. Upgrade the XP machine to Windows 7 and joining will be no problem.
2. Change the Windows 7 HomeGroup to a regular Workgroup and the XP machine will be able to connect to it.
Here are the steps to changing a HomeGroup to a Workgroup:
For ease of use, if there is already an existing HomeGroup on the Windows 7 computer, upgrading the XP machine to Windows 7 would be the recommended course of action. There is a course in the Online Training Library, Migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7, that explains the steps for transitioning to Windows 7.
- On the Windows 7 computer, click the Start button at the bottom left of the screen.
- Go to the Control Panel and choose Network and Sharing Center.
- Click the link for "View your active networks.”
- In the next window choose "Work network." That will switch the group from a HomeGroup to a Workgroup so the two computers can talk to each other. However, the same workgroup name and share folders in Explorer must be assigned to both computers before they can be networked.
Can’t find an answer?
If you still have a question about Windows 7 Essential Training, let us know.
ask a question
Sorry, there are no matches for your search ""—to search again, type in another word or phrase and click submit.