Illustrator Insider Training: Seeing Through Transparency
Video: WelcomeShows experienced Illustrator users how to create transparency effects and ensure reliable printing results.
- Next steps
In this installment of Illustrator Insider Training, Mordy Golding shows experienced Illustrator users how to create transparency effects and ensure reliable printing results. This course reviews the history of vector transparency and covers features such as knockout groups, opacity masks, and transparency flattening. Mordy also shows how to establish a safe workflow when placing Illustrator graphics containing transparency in PostScript, PDF, and InDesign files. A free worksheet is included with the course.
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Hi! My name is Mordy Golding and welcome to Illustrator Insider Training: Seeing Through Transparency. Once we review some core concepts around vector transparency, I'll pick apart Illustrator's transparency panel, explaining each of the seemingly cryptic settings. I'll show you how to incorporate transparency into gradients and even gradient mesh objects and I'll teach you how to create and control one of the most powerful masking techniques in Illustrator, the opacity mask. I'll break down the highly technical concept of transparency flattening into easy-to-understand rules that you can apply in a day-to-day basis to help ensure that the files that you create will appear and print perfectly.
Now, as with all Illustrator Insider Training courses, I'm assuming that you already have some basic familiarity with Illustrator. If not, I suggest that you first take a look at one of my other courses in the lynda.com Online Training Library, Illustrator CS5 Essential Training. Now if you're ready, let's get started with Illustrator Insider Training: Seeing Through Transparency.
There are currently no FAQs about Illustrator Insider Training: Seeing Through Transparency.