Start learning with our library of video tutorials taught by experts. Get started
Viewed by members. in countries. members currently watching.
Creativity is not an external force or a rare skill; it's a habit that can be learned and exercised every day. This course challenges preconceived notions about creativity and provides valuable tools that will unlock this skill to help you generate better ideas faster. Let Stefan Mumaw help you identify and break down creative obstacles, and lead you through a few short, fun exercises that build your creative muscles, while illuminating key points about your behavior, experience, and perspective that you might not have realized before.
Play is often looked at, as frivolous and childish but not all play is without business merit. There is strategic play. Strategic play uses the constructs of play as a tutoring tool around a specific problem. It's designed to mirror a problem solving process, but removes the consequence of failure. This parallel activity is a powerful training tool if the playful problem closely resembles the real problem. Let's engage in a little strategic play right now, with a quick exercise.
You'll need a piece of paper and a writing utensil for this exercise. So if you need to pause the movie here to retrieve those items, do so now. Ready? Great! This exercise is called Aroman, and you have three minutes. Most men's cologne is designed to do one thing, smell nice to women. Without cologne, men smell less appealing. This is not news. The problem with most men's cologne however, is it's designed for the 2% of time when women are within sniffing distance. The other 98% of the time, men would simply rather smell something else, something manlier.
That's where you come in. You have three minutes to write down as many possible cologne scents that men would rather smell on themselves. Think of the smells that men love and you'll do great. Get ready to pause the movie. Ready? Go. So, how many ideas did you generate? I bet there were a bunch. Now, imagine if you were tasked with generating a bunch of ideas for a new ad campaign at work.
Your goal is volume. Well, you've just practiced that exact same process. No consequence, all play, strategic play to be exact. Play with a purpose. In this instance, your goal was many ideas. This is known as divergent thinking, but sometimes you may be looking for a single idea, the right solution to a problem. This is called Convergent thinking. Divergent thinking is the type of thinking that is meant to result in many ideas. Whereas, convergent thinking is the type of thinking that is meant to result in a single idea.
Think back to Dunker's candle problem. This was an example of convergent thinking. There was one solution that you were seeking. The solution that led to the candle being fixed in the wall, so that when it's lit wax wouldn't drip on the floor. The first step to developing a strategic play training exercise is to recognize which type of thinking you'll need, divergent or convergent. Then develop something playful mirroring that process. The role of play in the creative process can not be understated. It provides a mechanism for overcoming much of the inaction that occurs when we're faced with a problem we're having trouble solving.
It's one way we can overcome the obstacles that will pop up as we develop positive creative growth habits. So the next time a problem is really stumping you and your team, toss aside the consequences and have fun.
There are currently no FAQs about Creativity Training: Generate Ideas in Greater Quantity and Quality.
Access exercise files from a button right under the course name.
Search within course videos and transcripts, and jump right to the results.
Remove icons showing you already watched videos if you want to start over.
Make the video wide, narrow, full-screen, or pop the player out of the page into its own window.
Click on text in the transcript to jump to that spot in the video. As the video plays, the relevant spot in the transcript will be highlighted.